Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One year six months later


Well hello to everyone. I'm happy to say the "The Lord is Good". I can finally say I feel great. The past year was pretty bumpy. I've had my year check up with Dr Daneker, everything went well. I'm still anemic so I have to take 800mg of iron daily. I'm not diabetic but I do have impaired glucose. This means the sugar doesn't leave my body by the next meal. I have to watch my sugar and carb intake. I'm back to walking 3 miles a day and doing an exercise class for seniors twice a week. Dr Daneker did a wonderful job on my incision. Even doctor Kelly Carson said that if she had to have a scar she would want one like mine.
I would like to say to all of you that have to go through this operation, to stay focused, and put your trust and faith in the Lord. I was so very lucky to have had the best surgeon in town. He's top dog, chief director and surgeon of oncology on the pancreas and liver. I was comforted from the very first time I laid eyes on him. I had intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm which is rare. I had two tumors in the head of my pancreas and one in the tail. Daneker cut and diced till he got clean areas. Praise the Lord this was benign.
I can say I was in pretty good shape when I went into the hospital, I had been exercising regularly. I was probably considered a little over weight. But recovery depends on you. If you stay focused and motivated I promise you that you will have a pretty fast recovery. I would have been out of the hospital in 5 days but I got an infection in my blood stream and it kept me there for five more days.
My next MRI won't be till January 11, 2011 ( my two year anniversary). I have met some wonderful people that have contacted me that have also had Whipple surgery. We discuss different things we have experienced. We share information on things that have helped us get through the healing process.
Remember our God has not promised us a smooth sailing.....Just a safe landing.....
There is an group called Pancreatic Cancer Action Network that I got in touch with. They will send you a packet of information on clinical trials, Pancreatic Cancer and Diet and Nutrition that is very informative. The toll free number is 887-272-6226.

I'll be back to fill in the blanks from the past year's experiences. Sorry I was away for so long.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions, want more detailed information or just want to talk.

1 comment:

Susan Hubbard said...

Rose, thank you so much for writing back to me when I emailed you last year after I also had the Whipple procedure. Your friendship has meant the world to me in this fight against Pancreatic Cancer!