Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mom is doing exceptional today! I enjoyed spending most of the morning and afternoon with her...

Mom called me at 630AM this morning to ask if I would bring a pack of chewing gum...Extra in spearmint or peppermint. Doesn't that woman have any since of time? I figured since I was wide awake I would go ahead, get dressed and drive on up to the hospital. It was early for me but I stopped at Dunkin Donuts to get some coffee for dad and I.

I arrived to find mom munching on a banana and a bowl of corn flakes with skim milk. She seemed thrilled to be eating food with a brand name like kelloggs instead of some tasteless generic hospital no brand. Soon after breakfast mom was putting her socks on and gearing up for her already 2nd or 3rd walk that morning.

Mom walked 3 more times while I was there. Each time she walked 4 or more laps around the nurses station and down the hall. The nurse detached her from the IV fluid bags just before lunch...once mom went wireless she was speed walking and I could barely keep up with her. Mom was her own coach today, I didn't have to ask or reminder her to do a thing. She was up every hour to walk, do her breathing exercises and potty on her own. I can just tell she is going to heal quickly and be an even stronger woman when this is all over.

We will continue to keep you posted on the results of the blood cultures. Dr. Danaker should be back tomorrow to let us know where we go from here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rose,
I tried to send a comment earlier this afternoon but I guess it is in "cyber-space". However, now that I have read the updates, I feel much better about your situation. Thank You, God, for all YOU are doing for my precious friend!

We had a good morning at SS this morning. Yes, we talked about you a lot and prayed for you. Everyone is so interested in you and they are sooooo appreciative of this awesome "blogger" page that your talented daughters have come up with. It is so much better than having to rely on me to give them updates - I always seem to get things wrong!!!!

You are doing great, sweet friend, and I just know that it won't be long before you are home and we are able to come and be your entertainment. I hope that you get through this bacterial thing, whatever it may be, really quickly once they can pin-point exactly what it is. You just keep doing all that you are doing - sounds like you are continuing to be the poster child of the perfect patient. Remember that you are completely covered in love and prayers!

Love you,
Carroll

Anonymous said...

That's too bad. Did't you know one
'bad egg' can spoil the whole thing
Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Anonymous said...

I was glad to read you are doing better Mrs WhippleWaddy. I know God is watching over you and you will be home soon. Larry Whipplewaddy is a keeper also, he's taking good care of you. Love you all and thank you girls for the blog. Sandi, Mrs WhippleWaddy's sister!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,

Sounds like you are burning up the track around the nurse's station. Keep up the good work. God and you are having a wonderful time on the hospital track. He loves you so much and has His arms around you and keeping you in His loving protection.

Sounds like you are having some good old hospital food!! Larry told me you had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. It won't be long before we will be having dinner at El Porton's. How does that sound??

I love you and miss you and I will see you soon.

God Bless You,
Love and Prayers,
Marlise

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so well. I bet those are the best corn flakes ever! Love you all. Chris

Anonymous said...

Rose,
I'll try again. I just arrived from my Mother's. in Bhm. with no link to the world.( no email)So glad to see you are doing great and continuing with your great humor. Love you and so glad you are doing well. See you soon. Keep up the good work

Carol P