Tuesday, January 20, 2009

circle of friends

The day started early for my family and several of my mother's dearest friends. If you were like me, it was difficult to sleep last night tossing and turning thinking about what my mother was going to undergo the next morning. In the morning my eyes opened at 4:30AM without any assistance from my alarm clock...I rolled out of bed and immediately stumbled through the house to find a phone to tell my mom how much I love her one more time before surgery.

Dad and my oldest sister Julie packed mom up early to make sure she arrived at the hospital right on time...they arrived at 5:10AM. She was robed and checked-in upon arrival. During check-in hospital staff asked her several questions to confirm patient identity...what is your name?, date of birth?, who is your doctor? From what my Dad said, mom was able to answer all the question but forgot why the heck she was there and he had to assist..."Mrs. Whipple, you don't remember why you are at the hospital?"

At 6:45AM my Dad was given a hospital pager and he and Julie moved to the waiting room as mom was taken back to surgery. I was not there but I am sure it was difficult for both of them to leave my mom's side. They were not alone for long...Several friends joined them in the waiting area and throughout the morning they built a powerful circle of friends and family. When Betsy and I arrived at the hospital at 9AM, the circle consumed more than a quarter of the waiting area.

All of you are wonderful...those of you that joined us at the hospital and those of you thinking about my mom! I appreciate you celebrating my mom! My family really appreciates all the love and support! Thank you for sitting with us during those difficult hours! Thank you for keeping my mom close to your heart and in your prayers! A special thanks to Sheila Evans, Carol Wills, Jane Hill, Gloria Terry, Larry and Beth Stephens, Art Wilder, Jay Ray Holiday, Peggy Fulghem, Debbie Ephrem, Jane and Mike Neal.

The pager buzzed again at 10:45AM, we all moved to the edge of our seats as my Dad walked to and from the nurse station. The update was brief, mom is doing fine but it will be awhile before surgery is complete.

No comments: