Thursday, January 22, 2009

Photos from Day Four

DSC_0717.jpg
Mom enjoying a Sprite.

DSC_0719.jpg
Nurse Larry feeding Rose a big chunk of yummy Jell-O.

DSC_0721.jpg
Debbie, thanks for the great visit. Laughter is truly the best medicine and you gave mom lots of chuckles.

DSC_0723.jpg

You know, some people might say, "I can't believe she posted that photo of Rose's backside."
But to those of you thinking that, let me tell you: This is my favorite photo of mom's journey so far.
Tonight, as the nurse was helping her out of bed I realized how fragile my mother really is. She's tiny. I mean, tiny. She's only 5 feet tall. (Okay, okay mom. I can hear you yelling at me: 5feet 1.5inches! ) Seriously though, it's easy to forget about her small frame when you see her in that hospital bed. Her personality is just so big. It's like the two shouldn't naturally go together. So, it hit me that even though she's progressing quickly and she's so strong mentally and emotionally, her body needs to take it slow.
I've yet to get emotional around my mother. I've managed to avoid the waterfall. Tonight, as I watched her take those tiny little steps back to health I was in awe. The kind of awe that hits you like an unexpected wave and bathes you in a sea of new understanding. My mother has a will/strength/drive/determination (call it what you wish) that is almost shocking. I was impressed with her ability to walk around that track tonight- twice. Her little staccato steps never paused for a break. She kept a fast and steady pace. (She even did it with a smile on her face.) And she didn't complain about the "draft", not even once!
I'm so proud of her. I know you are too.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I've also seen Mom in a different light through this ordeal. She's been incredibly strong and determined. And may I add, honest and raw. The mother I know (or thought I knew) would've had a fit you posting pictures without make-up or exposing her backside. Thank you for "letting it all hang out" mother. I'm so proud of you and wish I could be there to witness your steps in person. Thank you for the beautiful post Angela.

Unknown said...

Rose, you amaze all of us - except for our God WHO knew all along what you would be doing! What a beautiful lady you are, even in your hospital gown with tubes coming out of you! Now that is not normally a pretty picture but you have raised the bar that I hope none of us ever have to live up to! I hope you know and remember how I continue to be praying for you, thinking of you, and loving on you (even in my absence) and I am so very thankful for your precious daughters who are helping to keep us updated through this wonderful system. God bless you all!
Love is sent to you wrapped in "yellow paper, tied with a big yellow ribbon" (you know the meaning of that!)
Hugs and prayers to you,
Carroll

Unknown said...

Rose, BTW - what is with the "yellow" jello????? I could not even believe it. That was priceless. I LOVED IT! There just be an insider in the midst at St. Joe's Hospital but we will keep that a secret!
Also, tell Larry that I am going to get him an agent, he did great in his video - TV will be calling soon!
Love you,
Carroll