Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Proof- She Sleeps!

DSC_0607.jpg
Mom doesn't sleep. I'm sure Julie could tell you all about it. (She shared a bed with mom the night before she went in for surgery.) When I was in college, I knew I could call mom at midnight and there was a good chance she'd answer. (She almost always did.)
So, it's great to see her rest. It's even better to see her really really rest.

This evening she kept opening her eyes. I told her just to go ahead and sleep. She said she was trying to keep herself up so that she'd sleep well tonight. And then she dozed off, again.
At one point, she was snoring. The phone rang and dad was filling someone in on her status. He said, "Yeah, they've moved her into a room, room 258." In between snores, mom snapped, "528 Larry. The room number is 528." I swear that woman doesn't miss a beat, even in her sleep.

DSC_0606.jpg
Mom keeps referring to Daneker as "The Top Dog". Honestly? He's no dog. No, not a dog at all. That's all I'll say about that.
Oh, well. I'll say one more thing: He does great work. Two nurses had come in earlier to check her dressings before he arrived. We were able to get a glimpse of the battle scar. I was bracing myself for the worst. I was impressed with his handy work. The incision was much smaller than I'd pictured in my mind. The staples were in the shape of an upside down triangle and located right underneath her chest. It was very clean and tight. Thanks Dr. D.
DSC_0608.jpg
Dad brought mom some roses tonight. He teased and said he'd found them down in the lobby. Someone had left them! What a joker. He also brought back a few things from home that mom had requested. Make-up. Make-up? Mom, I don't think make-up is going to hide the fact that you have a gazillion tubes coming out of your nose. Besides, her skin has an incredible glow. She shouldn't cover that up for anything. He also said he thought, at the rate she was recovering, he'd better bring her coat and a change of clothes. So, he did.
I thought it was the sweetest gesture, even sweeter than the flowers. Her coat is waiting there in that closet, ready to go home with her in a few short days...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you wake up, dear sweet Rose, know that Pete and Norma way out in Washington are thinking about you - you're going to get better - we still have to get together and have some more fun! Let them pamper you and give all those kids and Larry a big HUG from us.
Love ya,
Norma and Pete

jessica said...

hiya rose,
you don't know me but i have been holding you close to me in my thoughts these past few days. your daughter is my friend. her love for you is deep, as is my love for my mama. you seem like a pretty cool chickadee and i am so very happy for you and your family that you are making such incredible progress. well done, mama! please make angela give you a peck on the cheek from bunnybum in perth, western australia. also, make them bring you animal crackers, for heaven's sake.
all my very best,
jessica

Anonymous said...

Larry, you are such a sweet loving man. Rose, you don't need the make up. You are a beautiful, strong woman. I wish I could be there to give you hugs. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you, Toni Scully

Julie said...

My dear Father & Sisters,
I can't thank you enough for this blog and the timely updates. It was so hard to leave there yesterday, even though Mom is progressing so remarkably well. I'm happy to be home, but I believe my heart is still in Georgia. I love you dearly Mom and I'm so proud of the progress you are making. I always knew you were on top of things, but your strength and determination over these last few days has blown me away. I appreciate the support your church family provided (and that they continue to provide) to you, Dad and us girls. I enjoyed hearing their “Rose” stories, as we waited for you to come out of surgery. You are truly loved by many, Mom.

Unknown said...

Mamaw Rose, you have done beautifully. I am so proud of you! I love you very much. I'm very grateful for all the love and suppport you are receiving from our family and also from your friends at church. I rest easily knowing you will receive the best care and you will be out of there in no time. You are such an amazing person! I laugh when I think about you having Fox News turned on at 6:00 am the morning after your surgery, not even twenty four hours later. I love you so much and I cannot wait to come back and see you and love on you again. I love you all very much! Kisses and hugs to everyone. Love, Betsy